I have 5+ years of experience planning, organizing, promoting and hosting literary arts events. My goal is to find ways to make live literary events innovative, engaging, refreshing, and never intimidating. Of the 30+ events I’ve worked on, here are some examples:
The Native American Literature Symposium – Mystic Lake Hotel Casino – Prior Lake, MN (March 2017, 2018)
- As a graduate assistant to the director of NALS, I worked daily to organize the conference, including redesigning the website, tracking registration, creating promotional items, and designing the conference program. During the 3-day event, I was responsible for customer service, A/V solutions, and event management.
The Submerging Writer Fellowship – Florida Museum of Photographic Arts – Tampa Bay, FL (March 2018)
- This was an international award for struggling, unpublished writers. The fellowship was open to any writer who had no book, was not in a writing program, and had won no major awards. The winner was awarded chapbook publication and $1,000.
- This project culminated in a live chapbook launch for winner and finalists at the Florida Museum of Photographic Arts in Tampa, FL at AWP 18.
Page Match – Modern Art – Lancaster, PA (December 2017)
- 8 writers competed in a series of on-the-spot free-writes to win the title: “Lit champion of Lancaster”; Fundraiser for Third Point Press (over $400 raised)
Poems & Postcards, ft. Roy Guzmán – Mankato, MN – (Mar 2017)
- Attendees wrote poems on postcards and sent them to elected officials; open mic and featured reading followed
Ekphrasis for the Masses – Walking Tour – Mankato, MN – (Oct 2016, Sept 2017)
- Generative writing workshop that took place during a walking tour of local sculptures
When I Was a Kid: Storytelling Night – Children’s Museum of Southern Minnesota – (Nov 2016)
- 8 storytellers shared true, unscripted, 5-min stories about childhood experiences
OMG! That’s Embarrassing – Coffee Hag – Mankato, MN – (Jun 2016)
- Participants shared writing, art, and music made when they were teenagers
The Grown-up Spelling Bee – Tellus 360 – Lancaster, PA – (Jan 2015)
- Live spelling bee for adults that served as a fundraiser for The Triangle; over $1,000 raised
The Triangle presents: Submit Smarter! – The Seed – Lancaster, PA – (Nov 2014)
- Informational workshop on sending work out and utilizing literary community
The Triangle presents: Jamie Mortara – Dogstar Books – Lancaster, PA – (Apr 2014)
- One of a 6–part series that brought emerging, touring writers to Lancaster
Poetry Aloud! – The Ware Center – Lancaster, PA – (2012-2014)
- Annual collaborative project between Millersville University’s Creative Writer’s Guild and Franklin And Marshall College’s Kelly Writers House. Featured performers included Andrea Gibson, Anis Mojgani, and Jon Sands. Hundreds of attendees visited each installment.